Monday, February 2, 2009

I'm the most fabulous cook EVER!

I found this recipe on parents.com and it is fabulous! It is the best thing I've ever made! I just have to share the recipe with you! You have to like spicy though, or you could omit the jalepenos, but I don't think it would be the same. I changed the recipe to more jalepenos and more corn, this is with my changes. You have to try it!

Ingredients
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast (cut off fat)
  • 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
  • 1 green pepper, seeded and chopped
  • 2 jalepeno chiles, seeded and chopped
  • 1 3/4 tsp ground cumin
  • 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 3/4 tsp salt
  • 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes with chiles, drained
  • 2 cups frozen corn, thawed
  • 2 cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
  • 2 tablespoons stone-dround cornmeal
  • Shredded Monteray Jack cheese for on top

Directions

  1. In a 5 to 6 quart slow cooker, combine onion, chicken, low-sodium broth, green pepper, jalepeno, 1 1/2 tsp of the cumin, 1/4 tsp of the cayenne, and 1/4 tsp of the salt.
  2. Cover and cook on HIGH for 4 hours or LOW for 6 hours.
  3. Remove the chicken to a cutting board and allow to cool slightly. Shred the chicken and return it to the slow cooker with remaining 1/4 tsp each of cumin and cayenne, and the tomatoes, corn and beans. Gently mash 1 can of the beans in the can before adding it in (this thickens it).
  4. Stir in the cornmeal and remaining 1/2 tsp salt. Let sit for a few minutes to soften the cornmeal.
  5. Serve sprinkled with a little of the Monteray Jack Cheese and cornbread on the side.

*If you only have a small 3 qt. crockpot like me, you can still cook all of #1 in your slow cooker, and then transfer it to a large chili pot when adding the other ingredients on medium heat.

*If you're in a hurry and can't wait the full 4 hours, you can just take the temp of the chicken, when it's at the right temp that's good enough.